Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 58:36 — 53.7MB)
Connect with the Investor Mama Tribe
Need to boost your income? Check out these resources to increase your skill sets and grow your wealth!
In search of balance and financial freedom, Maria left a life of eating out, catwalks, and a killer job in Silicon Valley for a life of Dickies and tool belts; DIY-rehabbing, and renting apartments in Helsinki, Finland. And she loves it.
Maria founded a real estate investing company in Finland in 2018 in which she now works full-time as the CEO focusing on buy-and-hold rental apartments using the BRRRR strategy. She believes tenants have the right to live in a wonderful home they love which is why she designs the apartments individually adding some pizazz.
When she’s not busy keeping her two toddlers from eating paint or piercing each other with power tools, she loves running and laughing and inspiring others to act even though they’re scared.
Maria has written the following articles:
The Crazy Journey to My First 8 Rentals: Numbers, Pics & Lessons (All the Nitty Gritty!)
If I Can Buy 7 Rentals While Jobless, Pregnant, & Raising an 8-Month-Old, You Can Too!
5 Serious Questions to Ask Yourself Before Partnering With Family Members
Maria is also featured in the brand new book: The Only Woman in the Room: Knowledge and Inspiration from 20 Women Real Estate Investors by Ashley Wilson
Maria’s Real Estate and Life Tips
- If you don’t know how to do something, find somebody, who does and can show you the results. Then model them.
- Rock stars know rock stars, so when building a team find one rockstar first and they will lead you to the rest.
- Don’t focus on what you don’t have, focus on what you do have. In real estate, there are three things you need, knowledge, time/hustle, and money. Focus on your strengths, what you can offer, and find others who have what you don’t have. I.e If you have time and knowledge, find someone with money.
- Bring value to people first. What can I give to others v.s what can I get from others?
- Better to be in the with an okay deal than waiting on the sides for the perfect deal.
- Don’t compare you chapter one to someone else’s chapter 20. You don’t know how far they have worked to get to this point. All of us have different things in our past that’s happened. We can’t control that but we can control our actions and our thoughts.
- Be normal. Find someone else’s pain point and solve it for them to help you get a deal.
- I was supposed to leave my dream job for my dream life.
- Purpose fuels persistence so find your purpose.
- Before buying a property, identify your goal, that will help you figure out your best strategy, that will lead you to your buying criteria. Then you will know if you have a good deal or not.
- To expedite her wealth-building journey Maria focused on her velocity of money by using the BRRRR method. Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, and Repeat.
- Find your strengths and focus on that. You will become purposeful doing the things that you’re meant to do because that will come the easiest to you. That will give you the most energy.
- Live your life as if you already died.
1. What is one fun fact about you that not that many people know?
I can put both my feet behind my head at the same time.
2. Who inspires you the most and why?
My best friend Lena because she pushes me to be myself because I do things a bit differently when it comes to, the rental site. I put extra love and attention into each unit and use different colors unlike anybody else. She’s been inspiring and very concrete when it comes to interior decoration, but also when it comes to life. For her, it’s all about creating a life and a home that you love.
3. What books are you reading now or have read and loved that you’d recommend?
The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
4. What is one actionable tip or piece of advice that you can tell our moms out there to help them on their financial independence journey?
Find your strength because typically when you know what you’re good at, that’s what’s going to energize you. That’s what you should be focusing on. That’s going to help you find your why and your purpose. That will then fuel your persistence to keep going when times get tough. So take The Strengths Finder 2.0 tests.
Connect with Maria
Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat: The BRRRR Rental Property Investment Strategy Made Simple by David Green
Strengths Finder 2.0: A New and Upgraded Edition of the Online Test from Gallup’s Now, Discover Your Strengths
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson